General Education Teacher - Middle School
Company: Methodist Children's Home Society
Posted on: June 5, 2021
The General Education Teacher creates a
student-centered education program and learning environment that
provides specialized instruction to children who have experienced
trauma. The General Education teacher is responsible for
collaborating with other teacher(s) and the other departments to
develop and implement supplemental aides, accommodations, and other
needed supports so that the students benefit from the general
education curriculum to the greatest extent
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs general office and administrative duties for the
department; prepares the classroom before classes and clean up
- Collaborates with group treatment team to create a
student-centered learning environment; provides regular feedback on
student progress to the administrative team.
- Serves as a liaison and point of contact between students in
the on-grounds classroom and their teachers from their community
schools to receive classroom assignments and communicate student
- Assists agency staff with monitoring and documenting the
behavior and academic success of children to ensure they stay
focused and on task.
- Plans and facilitates social-emotional activities to promote a
trauma-informed academic environment.
- Recommends, develops, plans and implements individualized and
group educational programs and lesson plans based on assessment
data and childs needs.
- Create and track educational goals for students to track
- Maintains a positive classroom environment through effective
conflict resolution, collaboration, positive reinforcement, and
educational leadership modeling; provides assistance with
controlling disruptive behavior using approved methods of
de-escalation and crisis intervention.
- Maintain accurate records on each student including grades,
progress reports, attendance, behavior records and lesson
- Participates in ongoing professional development activities,
field trips, and/or other activities as deemed appropriate by the
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors degree in Education, with a State of Michigan
Teachers Certification required.
- Certification to teach in Michigan is
- Professional experience working with serious emotional disorder
(SED) at-risk populations.
- Computer and software applications (Windows, MS Office,
Internet applications, Parent Connect, etc.) necessary to perform
the duties of the position.
- State high school and grade school content expectations (HSCE
- Methods for providing differentiated instruction to at-risk
- Student assessment strategies.
- The behavior patterns of youth and methods of interacting with
and redirecting children.
- Experience/knowledge of Individual Education Plans and State of
Michigan rules regarding implementation in a classroom
- Skills and Abilities Needed:
- Effectively provide instruction for children with behavioral
and emotional issues.
- Design, plan, and implement lesson plans for individuals and
small groups of children.
- Evaluate and document childrens response progress towards
- Utilize established assessment systems and educational programs
(Reading A-Z, Read About, etc.).
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Relate to youth and gain their respect and confidence.
- Manage time and multiple priorities, meet deadlines.
- Appropriately handle physical and emotional behavior of the
youths that may involve adversarial or hostile situations.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with
employees, other agencies and the public.
- Exercise professional judgment in making decisions.
- Handle sensitive and confidential situations and
- Attend and conduct agency training and maintain necessary
certifications and licenses.
The work environment described here is representative of that
which an employee will typically encounter during a normal
shift. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
functions. Work involves rotating between workstations where
children are studying and requires walking or standing for extended
periods of time in a school or office setting.
Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/D/V
Powered by JazzHR
Keywords: Methodist Children's Home Society, Redford , General Education Teacher - Middle School, Other , Redford, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!