MANUFACTURING ENGINEERING COST ESTIMATOR - Electrification
Company: Piston Automotive
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Piston Group is No. 1 on the 2020 Crain's Detroit Business list
of largest African American-owned businesses and Crain's list of
largest minority-owned businesses. It was No. 4 on the Crain's Fast
50 list of fastest-growing companies in metro Detroit, and No. 5 on
the Private 200 list of largest privately held companies in
Southeast Michigan. Piston Automotive is a proud member of the
Piston Group of Companies!
Manufacturing Engineering Cost Estimator
Electrification - Technical Specialist
The ME Cost Estimator - Electrification Technical Specialist is
primarily responsible for the analysis and quoting of the company's
new business, specifically focused on items centered around
Electrification and Autonomous technologies. Involvement will range
from upfront strategic analysis, R&D of new technologies and
suppliers to the quoting process, customer technical reviews, and
technical sales support. In addition to the cost estimating
activities, this position will be looked on as the Technical
Specialist of this focused area, supporting and collaborating with
the Engineering team in areas of new technologies, capital, tooling
and supplier selection for projects related to electrification and
- Assist with ongoing electrification and autonomous mobility
market and technology analysis
- Support product and customer targeting strategies and
- Researching new technologies, processes, suppliers, and costs
associated with the identified target areas. This research will
range from Customer OEMs to products, equipment & processes.
- Technical sales support to assist with introductions and
building relationships with key target customers
- Maintain collaborative working relationships with business
partners, especially Sales lead within this focused area, to ensure
alignment and effectiveness of the strategy and target specific
- Leads technical research of new technologies around
electrification and autonomous mobility
- Review Customer Quote Documentation (SOW, RASI, BOM, and CAD)
to identify all project requirements and develop a comprehensive
list of questions and additional information required to quote the
- Determine required takt time and process efficiencies to
accurately establish required process cycle times.
- Determine the required assembly sequence, process steps, and
assembly methods based on the customer-provided information.
- Determines the cost and timing impacts for the assembly
process, square footage requirements, capital investments
(equipment and facilities), direct and indirect labor.
- Prepare and present technical presentations for customer
reviews, including detailed cycle time analysis, proposed equipment
design, facility layout with material flow impacts, key
error-proofing concepts, project timing, and program
- Prepare project line-up information for awarded business, with
the assistance of business development, to communicate the quoted
project cost and timing requirements, along with all program
assumptions to the launch team.
- Main Manufacturing Engineer interface with the customer during
the new business award process.
- Collect cost data from internal department representatives,
sub-contractors, and vendors as required.
- Develops and maintains a strong relationship with Key
Technology Partners / OEMs to ensure support, knowledge, and access
to the latest technologies.
- Provide guidance in equipment selection, overall operations,
and future expansion.
- Help establish initial design goals, process, and equipment
- Drive lean concepts throughout the quoting and development
phase of the project.
- Assist in the evaluation of new suppliers, products, and
technologies to help maintain a competitive edge in the
- Assist with developing Manufacturing Engineers' mechanical and
tooling knowledge in design and issue resolution.
- Assist the Engineering group with updating corporate design
standards/specifications for new technologies or processes to
support future growth strategies.
- Attend key industry events to bring back key industry trends
and new technologies to support strategic and growth
A minimum of eight years of experience in a Manufacturing,
Process, or another related engineering discipline. (a combination
of education and experience will be taken into consideration)
Direct project experience related to the electrification and
autonomous mobility space
Bachelor's degree (B. A).
Must have experience designing manufacturing tools
Previous costing estimating or financial budgeting experience is
Experience with the strategy development for new business growth
and customer targeting
Must have experience in an automotive manufacturing environment
Must have experience in equipment design and procurement
Must have strong mechanical & electrical aptitude
Experience in 2-D AutoCAD
Excellent presentation skills
Excellent communication skills (both oral and written)
Experience in automotive electrification and autonomous mobility
Direct and Indirect labor
Working with multiple quotes simultaneously
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business
periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or
Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure
Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions
from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general
Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents,
logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations.
Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency
distribution, determination of test reliability and validity,
analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and
may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
Keywords: Piston Automotive, Redford , MANUFACTURING ENGINEERING COST ESTIMATOR - Electrification, Other , Redford, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!